1 x 400g can of Princes Apple Fruit Filling
30g dried cranberries
225g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
110g margarine, cut into pieces
3-4 tbsp chilled water
¼ tsp ground mixed spice
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Icing sugar, for sprinkling
Apple and Cranberry Christmas Pies
30 minutes prep
20 minutes cooking
Where can I buy Princes Apple Fruit Filling?
Princes Fruit fillings are available in all major supermarkets and selected independents
- First of all, put the dried cranberries in a heatproof bowl and cover them with boiling water. Leave them to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the chilled water and mix it in with a knife until the pastry clings together. Use your hand to form the dough into a ball. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out 15 rounds with a 7.5mm cutter, then stamp out 15 small stars for the decoration, re-rolling the pastry as necessary.
- Place the rounds of pastry into patty tins and prick the bases with a fork. Place the pastry star shapes on a separate baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the soaked cranberries thoroughly and mix them with the Princes Apple Fruit Filling. Stir in the ground mixed spice and cinnamon. Spoon the fruit filling into the pastry cases. Place the pastry stars on top. Warm through in the oven for 3-4 minutes, then serve, sprinkled with icing sugar.
Cook's tips: Use ready-made shortcrust pastry, if you prefer, or you could buy ready-prepared mini pastry tart cases to make smaller bites.
You could use ½ tsp ground mixed spice instead of using a combination of the two spices.