Princes Mandarin Segments with juice are available in selected Tesco, Morrisons and Waitrose stores
1 x 298g can of Princes Mandarin Segments with Juice, drained
170g soft margarine
170g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
170g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
For the buttercream:
50g unsalted softened butter
100g icing sugar
A few drops of orange essence
Dusting of icing sugar (optional)
1. Place cupcake or muffin cases into muffin tins. Preheat the oven 180°/ 160° Fan/Gas Mark 4.
2. Reserve 24-28 of the Princes Mandarin Segments for decoration and chop 85g of the remaining mandarins.
3. Place all the cupcake ingredients in a large mixing bowl apart from the mandarins, beat together with an electric hand whisk for 2 minutes until light and fluffy, stir the chopped mandarins into the mixture.
4. Divide the cake mixture between the cupcake cases filling approximately 2/3 of each case.
5. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow the cakes to cool on a cooling tray.
6. Beat together the ingredients for the butter cream.
7. When cakes are cold, cut a cone shape from the centre of each cake. Place a spoonful of buttercream in the centre each cake, or pipe the buttercream, and top with a couple of Princes Mandarin Segments, place on the cake cap and dust with icing sugar if desired.