1 x 200g can of Princes Ham (diced)
4 tsp plain flour
500ml skimmed milk
200g roasted butternut squash
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp French mustard (optional)
Salt & pepper
100g strongly flavoured hard cheese such as cheddar or parmesan – finely grated
100g mozzarella, cut into small pieces
Easy Macaroni Cheese with Ham
by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours
Helen from Fuss Free Flavours created this exclusive recipe as ambassador for the Come Home to Princes campaign!
Where can I buy Princes Ham?
Princes Ham is available in all major supermarkets and selected independents
- Cook the macaroni as per the packet instructions in a large pan of salted water.
- Blitz the butternut squash with 75ml of the milk with a stick blender.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the flour and stir well. Cook for a few minutes – this is important to stop the sauce tasting of flour.
- Turn the heat right down, then add the remainder of the milk to the flour and butter, a splash at a time, stirring well.
- Add the butternut squash puree, soy sauce and mustard. Stir in half the hard cheese and half the mozzarella.
- Briefly fry the ham until the cubes are pale brown on a couple of sides. Stir into the sauce. Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer to the serving dishes, dot the top with the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Put under a hot grill until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve with green vegetables or salad.