1 x 395g can Princes Apple Fruit Filling
40g stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped
A little margarine, for greasing
150g self-raising flour
1tsp ground ginger
150g caster sugar
150g soft margarine
1tsp vanilla extract
Custard, to serve
Apple and Ginger Mini Steamed Puddings
by Sue Ashworth
15 minutes prep
40 minutes cooking
Where can I buy Princes Apple Fruit Filling?
Princes Fruit fillings are available in all major supermarkets and selected independents
Nutritional information for this recipe
||Calories ||Sugars ||Fat ||Saturated Fat ||Salt |
||465 ||50g ||16g ||4.5g ||0.85g |
||23% ||56% ||23% ||23% ||14% |
- Tip the can of Princes Apple Fruit Filling into a bowl and stir in the stem ginger.
- Lightly grease 6 individual pudding basins with margarine. Share the Apple Fruit Filling between them.
- Sift the flour, ground ginger and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, margarine, unbeaten eggs and vanilla extract. Use a hand-held electric mixer or wooden spoon to beat the mixture together until smooth and creamy – this only takes 1-2 minutes.
- Share the mixture between the pudding basins and level the tops. Cover tightly with pieces of greased foil. Place in a steamer with enough just-boiled water to come halfway up the sides of the basins. Steam for 40 minutes, making sure that the steamer doesn’t boil dry. (Top up with boiling water, if necessary).
- Carefully lift the puddings from the steamer and remove the foil. Run a knife around the edges of the basins and turn the puddings out into bowls. Serve with custard.
Instead of steaming, stand the puddings on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4 for 22-25 minutes.
Take care when turning out the puddings – protect your hands with an oven glove.