For the filling
2 x 298g can of Princes Mandarin Segments with Juice, drained
200g butter, at room temperature
400g icing sugar, plus extra, for sprinkling
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
3 tbsp orange juice
A little vegetable oil, for greasing
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
225g caster sugar
225g soft margarine, at room temperature
4 large eggs
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
For the decoration
50 minutes prep
This delicious dessert is sure to be a family favourite.
Where can I buy Princes Mandarin Segments in Juice?
Princes Mandarin Segments with juice are available in selected Tesco and Independent stores.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease three 20cm (8in) sandwich tins with vegetable oil and line the bases with greaseproof paper. (Or use two tins and cook in batches).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, margarine, unbeaten eggs, milk, vanilla extract and orange zest. Use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture together for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Share the mixture between the prepared tins and level the tops.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. The cakes should be golden brown, and when touched lightly the tops should spring back into place. Cool in the tins for a few minutes, then remove the cakes and place on a wire rack. Peel away the lining paper and leave until completely cold.
- For the filling, beat together the butter, icing sugar, orange zest and orange juice until light and creamy. Spoon about one third of this into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and set aside, along with eight mandarin segments.
- Spread half the remaining butter icing over one cake and arrange half the remaining mandarin segments over it. Sandwich the second cake on top and decorate with the leftover icing and mandarin segments. Place the third cake on top. Pipe swirls of butter icing around the edge and decorate with the reserved mandarin segments and edible stars.
- Serve, sprinkled with icing sugar.