This cake is the perfect family dessert. Don’t like pears? Peach halves would also work well in this recipe.
Princes Pear Halves with Juice are available in selected Tesco, Waitrose and Iceland stores
2 x 410g cans of Princes Pear Halves with Juice
150g butter, melted plus a little extra for greasing
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g caster sugar
250g plain flour, sifted
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Lightly grease a 24cm x 6cm high springform cake tin with butter, then line with baking paper.
3. Put the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a bowl or blender and whisk until voluminous, pale and fluffy.
4. Add the sifted flour and baking powder and mix to incorporate.
5. Whisk in the butter and milk.
6. Put half of the pears, strained from their juice, at the bottom of the tin and scrape the cake mix over them. Put the remaining pears (you may find you have a few too many, if the cake is getting crowded, so just reserve a few) on top.
7. Bake for about 1 hour or until the top is golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from tin. Serve sprinkled with icing sugar.