2 x 432g cans Princes Pineapple Slices with Juice
20g caster sugar
For the shortbread:
225g butter, at room temperature
110g caster sugar
350g plain flour
50g desiccated coconut + 2tbsp
Pineapple and Coconut Shortbread Biscuits
25 minutes prep
15 minutes cooking
Try this delicious twist on easy-to-make shortbread – flavoured with coconut and topped with glazed pineapple rings.
Make sure that you handle the dough lightly, or else it will become greasy. Keep half the undecorated biscuits in an airtight tin and just use 1 x 432g can of Princes Pineapple Slices to finish off the first batch. You can complete the rest in a few days time. The glazed pineapples taste wonderful on their own as a dessert, served with crème fraiche or yogurt.
Where can I buy Princes Pineapple Chunks in Juice?
Princes Pineapple Chunks with juice are available in selected Sainsbury's and Independent stores.
Nutritional information for this recipe
||Calories ||Sugars ||Fat ||Saturated Fat ||Salt |
||273 ||16g ||16g ||10g ||0.32g |
||14% ||14% ||23% ||50% ||5% |
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Line 2 or 3 baking trays with baking paper (if you only have one baking tray, cook in batches).
- Tip the pineapple slices and juice from one can into a large frying pan. Drain the juice from the second can, adding the pineapples to the frying pan. Add the caster sugar and butter, then heat and simmer gently, turning occasionally, until the juice has evaporated and the pineapples are glossy and slightly caramelised. Cool.
- For the shortbread, beat together the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl until combined, using a wooden spoon. Add the flour, salt and 50g coconut and work them in with the wooden spoon, then use your hands to bring the mixture together.
- Turn out the dough and knead for a few moments until smooth – but avoid over-handling. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and stamp out biscuits with a 9cm cutter, re-rolling the trimmings. Place on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until pale golden brown. Cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Put the 2tbsp coconut into a dry frying pan. Heat, stirring, until lightly browned. Top each biscuit with a pineapple ring and sprinkle with toasted coconut.