For the cake:
300g Princes Apple Slices – save the rest for decorating
175g salted butter
175g golden caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
225g self raising flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
25g Greek yoghurt
For the caramel:
100g salted butter
100g double cream
100g soft brown sugar
Sprinkle of sea salt
Princes Apple Slices are available in selected Tesco and Sainsbury stores
1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and ends with a long strip of baking paper.
2. Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale, then beat in the eggs, one by one. Tip in the flour, cinnamon and yogurt.
3. Chop apples into small chunks, then add to the bowl and mix everything together with a spoon – leave the remaining apple to one side to be used as a garnish later.
4. Scrape into the tin and smooth the top. Bake on a middle shelf for 1 hr 20-30 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
5. To decorate, put the butter, sugar, salt and double cream into a small saucepan. Gently heat, stirring until everything has melted into a smooth caramel sauce. Cool for about 20 min while you gently turn out the cake. Slowly drizzle the toffee sauce over the top of the cake.
6. Finely chop the leftover apple slices and sprinkle over the warm toffee sauce.
7. Garnish with optional toasted chopped nuts